BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

May 16, 2011

Silence

What do you do with it? Silence I mean... Some people enjoy the quiet silence that comes to them by just sitting around in it doing nothing. Others can't stand it! They can't stand that awkward silence so they fill it something: music from their iPod, radio, etc. or maybe watch TV even if there's nothing of any real interest on. Some just don't like complete silence.

I grew up in the city and by "in the city" I mean IN the city! The city is loud. You can hear trains banging together, police sirens speeding by, guns shots in the distance, "baby-momma-drama" (if ya don't know what that is don't ask). It's loud! I never noticed how loud it was until I spent the night at my grandma's house when I was a kid. I remember laying down but I just couldn't get to sleep. I soon realized why: It was sooooooo quiet! I wasn't used to it at all.

Most of us now-a-days are used to a lot of noise in our lives. We wake up to the annoying noise of an alarm clock, we listen to music or talk radio on our way to work, we listen to music while at work (if you're like me), we watch our TV shows and movies, we have the noise of our kids... and not to mention the noise of construction work, horns honking, other people, etc. I think if we looked back on history, we may be the noisiest people in the history of the world.

Now to my point. All the noise we have in our lives is why a lot of us, myself included, can't stand complete silence. Yet many times Jesus Christ went off to a quiet or silent place to meet with God. Some of us do this from time to time. We go and pray and ask God to move and speak to us... But have you ever just sat in complete silence waiting on God to move or speak? Many times in Psalms we see moments of silence. Psalms like "...Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah." Psalm 4:4 See that word? Selah? It was a quiet musical interlude where there was no talking or singing or speaking. Just sitting there, quiet, waiting.

So silence. What do we do with it? Make time for it and enjoy it! We need to have some "selah" moments in our lives and most of the time we are the ones who are going to make them happen. What I mean is if we don't plan those Psalm 4:4 moments we will most likely be consumed and distracted by all this noise around us. So, have you had your "selah" moment today? I think I'll go do mine right now...

0 comments: